French pudding is a classic dessert that is loved by many. It's creamy, rich, and oh-so-delicious. But have you ever tried adding saffron spice to your French pudding? If not, you're missing out on a whole new level of flavor. In this blog post, we'll show you how to prepare French pudding with saffron spice, step by step. Get ready to impress your taste buds!
What is saffron spice?
Saffron spice is a highly prized spice that comes from the flower of Crocus sativus. It has a vibrant red color and a unique flavor that is both floral and slightly bitter. Saffron is often used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines to add a touch of luxury to dishes.
Ingredients you'll need
To prepare French pudding with saffron spice, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon of saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Whipped cream and fresh berries for garnish
1. In a saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat and add the saffron threads. Let it steep for about 10 minutes to infuse the milk with saffron flavor.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch until well combined.
3. Slowly pour the saffron-infused milk into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from curdling.
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let the pudding cool for a few minutes.
6. Divide the pudding into serving dishes or ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic wrap touches the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
7. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until the pudding is set and chilled.
8. Before serving, garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and some fresh berries. Enjoy!
Preparing French pudding with saffron spice is a delightful way to elevate a classic dessert. The saffron adds a subtle floral note and a beautiful golden hue to the pudding. Give it a try and impress your friends and family with this unique twist on a beloved dessert. Bon appétit!